Musical Theatre | New Addiction April

Musical theater!
I seriously love musical's and especially Matilda the Musical!
I have been in love with Musical since I went to see my first ever musical in Dublin "Hairspray" It was part of my 17th birthday present. I either decided to see Hairspray or Wicked but I went for Hairspray since it's so up beat and fun. I hope to see Wicked some time in the future. But I have also seen the screening of Billy Elliot Live in my local cinema which was pretty cool!  And I have been to see Mary Poppins in 2007 in Broadway New York! 



So how did Musical Theater start? Theatrical performance that combines songs, spoken dialogue, acting, and dance. Since the early 20th century, musical theatere stage works have generally been called, simply, musicals.


West End:
 The first permanent public playhouse in London, known simply as The Theatre, was constructed in 1576 in Shoreditch by James Burbage. It was soon joined by The Curtain. Both are known to have been used by William Shakespeare's company. 
Theatre became more and more popular after the first playhouse opened.
The longest running show in the West End is The Mousetrap it's in their 63rd year following Les Misérables 30 years, The Phantom of the Opera 29 years.
Every year there are new musicals from Broadway come to the West End.



Matilda The Musical:
As I have said the only musicals I want to see in London is Matilda The Musical which is based on Ronald Dahl's Matilda book. And has fantastic songs that I love like "Naughty" 


"When I grow up" "Revolting Children" and is  now one of the the most popular musicals in the west end!! Luckily my aunt went to see the musical in Broadway NY a year ago and sent me some merchandise which I'm very grateful for. In the American version of the show they had to change some English words due to American English is different! Also just to mention their stage is pretty cool looking too with alphabet letters!


Wicked The Musical:
I also really really want to see Wicked the Musical. I have read the two great books from Gregory Maguire. If your an Wizard of the OZ fan you would love this! First staged in the West End in 2006.
Based on  Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) and Glinda the Good we watch them become friends and how their friendship goes on with the same love interests and viewpoint. The show has such amazing stage setting and the costumes and make up! The songs are so powerful such as "Defying Gravity" " Popular" " The wizard and I"
 The show came to Dublin last year and I really regret not seeing it because my guitar teacher I get lessons from was playing the guitar in the show and I really wished I was there to see it! 





I can not wait to see more musical's in the future here in Ireland and maybe abroad! 
Thank you so much for reading and I see you all next Wednesday! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifted | Movie Review

Who I watch on Snapchat #2